Confession: other than Mexico and Canada and a very brief stint in Belize (don't ask), I have never left the country. I've been to most of the states, including Hawaii and Alaska. BUT I have always wanted to visit several places... foremost is Ireland (and the rest of the UK while I'm there). I have also wanted to go to India since like 3rd grade. My parents inspired a longing for Germany/Austria and I have also been fascinated with Prague for several years. Most recently (maybe about a month) I have been dying to go to Indonesia.
I think Indonesia may be the first place I actually go. What initially drew me there was an incredible image in Ben's Surfing magazine which constitutes, along with the Sweetwater catalog, the toilet literature in our home. An amazing surfer was launched into an aerial over a good 12 foot swell of beautiful turquoise water on the Bali coast, and in the background was what appeared to be a Buddhist (I learned later it was Hindu) Temple. Research has informed me this structure is called Tanah Lot Temple and is one of several coastal shrines on the Indonesian coast. It sits on an outcropping of rock which, at high tide, is submerged in water so that the Temple appears to be on an island, just off the coast. Visitors to the shrine will often come for overnight worship and stay until morning when the tides retreats. For some reason this brings into my mind "Abide with me; tis eventide." Anyway, I've decided I'm gonna get a passport and start saving money and hopefully sometime this winter, fly to Indonesia and see at least Jakarta and Bali. The country is composed of 17,508 islands and is mostly Islamic with large Buddhist and Hindu populations. Anybody wanna come with me?
5 comments:
ooh ooh me, pick me! Is there any way you could wait until March (my spring) seeing as I'm going to Ghana during my winter break??
I seriously want to go to all those places you mentioned! And when I say serious I mean it...if you can wait til March I'm so in!
If you need advise on Indonesia my old roommate Karen did did her PhD on rebuilding schools etc after major natural disasters, in Indonesia. She'd have a lot of good tips since she went out there a few summers in a row.
Let me know and I'll send you her email.
Kylee, by all means... it's an open invitation to all. March is actually when I was considering, since as you know, that's pretty much the dead of winter in New England.
Megan, please a do...
That sounds bangin'. Too bad I pay an arm and a leg for school and I don't have time for a job. No wang chungin' there. :(. Good luck with the saving :)
*HUG*
love you Jar
My good friend (http://purplepetra.blogspot.com/) lived there for a year studying linguistics and teaching English on a Fulbright Scholarship...
I can also give you her contact info if you want.
Post a Comment