
My mom and I just had a conversation about John McCain. She remarked how odd it was that I had always wanted John McCain to run for President and now that he's nominated, I wasn't planning to vote for him. We talked about it for a long time, but eventually I just threw my arms up and said that I miss the old John McCain. The John McCain before this belligerent attack ad crusade and crap. I honestly think he used to have his head on straight and now he's just being puppeted by his party and campaign managers. My dad thinks I'm caught up in this youth Obama storm, and I will admit I feel strongly that Barack Obama should be the one elected in November. And I might feel torn if John McCain weren't making it so easy for me to dislike him. I don't agree with Obama 100%. While I am generally pro-choice his voting record on partial-birth abortion is a little discomforting. But abortion is a stupid issue to make this election about, since Rowe v. Wade is going nowhere even if McCain were elected. Honestly, all other policy aside, he's the only one who's economic plan makes any sense.
I think I manage fine on what I make, but there are a lot people in this country trying to support families on less than what I make and these are the people without health care and at biggest risk of losing their jobs. To continue massive tax breaks for corporations who export their labor, oil companies who made the most obscene of profits this year, and Americans who make over $200,000 a year while extending not a cent of tax relief to the middle class is blanketly absurd.
The John McCain I grew up with would've never championed the Bush tax cuts. The argument in favor of these tax cuts is that people in this tax bracket will use the money they save and the economic growth will stimulate the greater economy. The problem with that argument is that history demonstrates it doesn't trickle down. It doesn't strengthen the overall economy. At least in never has. Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over, while expecting a different result. My mom agreed but said, "Jared, you know your father makes over $200,000 a year, right?"
"Yes, but is that WHY you guys feel differently?"
"It's a big part of it. You'd feel picked on if you worked as hard as your dad has for as long as he has, to have 39% of your wages taxed."
"I suppose, but at the wage I earn, 21% might actually hurt worse. And I don't even have the risk of losing my job."
I've been thinking about this a lot and I think I agree with the guy who got us out of the great depression more than the guy who got us into whatever it is we're in now.
2 comments:
I am with you Mooney
Word, word, and word (as you know).
Post a Comment