I actually wondered for a long time if recording music was something I was actually good at, or something I just liked to do. I of course, love audio and I had found a confidence in my skills at least when focused on film sound. But frankly, for much of the time I've been interested in making records, I've been surrounded by people who were better at it than me. (Jason, Ryan, uh, everyone I worked at Avatar with) My passion for music is similarly pretty strong, so I've thought a lot about whether I'm good enough at music to "masquerade" as a recording engineer.
When I thought about it a little more I realized I was from a bit of a different background. I began in recording at MCC where my first class was entirely on analog tape. In my second semester we "got to move up to digital" tape. Only just before my mission did I ever really experience using a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in software form. After my mission, I went to BYU. It was actually incidental that I got a Pro Tools job on campus. I wasn't even applying for it. I was applying to be a TA for Comms 101 and my teacher asked me out of nowhere if I knew Pro Tools. Well, then I started at KBYU where I met Jason. I got better at ProTools, but the couple projects I recorded in school, I was ultimately not that happy with.
I've realized more over time that I actually just kinda suck at mixing in the computer environment. I've always been capable of getting good recorded sounds. In fact, I've become a bit of a tone freak (complete tweaker). I just wasn't great at mixing, at least absent a console. As fortune would have it, I'm unexpectedly on my own at Dirty for the next few months, and I'm hoping that as I've been forced more heavily into mixing music in Pro Tools, I'll get better at it. I already notice some progress on day one.
No comments:
Post a Comment