Sunday, July 13, 2008

Almost Heaven... West Virginia.

I realized on my way down to Maryland this weekend that, while I have driven through Maryland many times, this was gonna be my first time stopping there. I found Maryland mostly uneventful, but I have to admit it's a lot nicer away from Baltimore.

I went to hang out with my good friend Liz, who looks like this:

Though this more thoroughly captures her essence:


Anyway, she had to work for part of the day, so I had lunch with her mom who's first question for me was, so you're the one she met on myspace, right? Should've been more prepared for that question. "Uhhh, yeah." (It was way less lame than it sounds)

When she got off work we had dinner and went to Harper's Ferry in West Virginia. This is in the Blue Ridge Mountains where the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers crawl through the a canyon alongside several very old railroad bridges. And no, I couldn't get John Denver out of my head. The "town" is basically built on jutting cliffs, at the top of which is this Episcopal church,

and Jefferson Rock. The latter was apparently just a rock that Thomas Jefferson asked to be steadied so it didn't fall. I guess when you write The Declaration of Independence they decide to start naming everything you ever touched after you. Except your slaves. Ooooh...tasteless joke? Probably.

Anyway, Harper's Ferry... big on the awesome. I think we need to go cruise the Potomac stretch in inner tubes. And by 'we' I mean everyone who wants to go.

2 comments:

juxtaposer said...

I want to go! Yaaay.

Jason Graham said...

how does tuesday the 29th sound?