Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A new kind of Walden.

So I've been realizing I'm a huge loser lately, but that's starting to be ok I guess. I got off work really early which is rare for a Tuesday, so I went to Harvard stadium to play soccer. Then I came home; and realizing I have no friends anymore, and still a little heavy in thought about stuff, I decided a late night swim in Walden would be relaxing. So I drove to Walden alone, waded in and swam around for a half an hour or so, at least 10 minutes of which I was just floating on my back looking at the stars. It had just rained earlier, so the sky was really clear and the water wasn't cold. About 100 yards out, a layer of fog sat just above the surface of the pond and the wind in the middle seemed to be blowing it around.

And in all this beauty I encountered not another human soul.

This is highly recommended.

2 comments:

Jason Graham said...

I am so doing that next time I'm in Boston... unless I'm there in February, which would make for a very unpleasant swim....

Katie said...

Ok so I saw your blog on FB and I do like your style, buddy.

I had an experience like that jogging the other night. The stars were out over the Cambridge Common and these big white clouds were looming over the tree line. Just wanted to grab somebody and say "look, LOOK at all of this."