Sunday, June 20, 2010

An open letter to a washed up celebrity.

Washed up celebrity seems harsh for the guy I'm gonna write this to. Andy Sturmer was the drummer and lead singer (interesting combination) of Jellyfish, a pop band that was briefly popular in the early 90's. Their 2nd full length album, Spilt Milk is one of my favorite recordings.

Andy,

I know most of the people reading this have no idea who you are. In fact, I'm not totally sure why I chose to write an open letter to you, which you'll almost assuredly never read. But I want to say thanks for some great music. As a recording engineer, I'm still finding inspiration in Spilt Milk. Most people credit Jack Joseph Puig pretty heavily for the sound and production value of that album, and while I'm sure it bears much of his genius, I know enough about the process to know that a producer or engineer can only reach amazing places with amazing musicians in front of the mics. Whenever I am given leave to get away with it, I still like to hard pan the toms like they are on Jellyfish records.

I've long admired your tastefulness as a drummer, I always like to point out to engineers, the drum sounds in That Is Why. They're usually impressed with both the sounds and the playing, and almost always comment on the great fill work in the pauses.

As a singer, I admire the power and personality of your voice. From playful songs like New Mistake or Brighter Day, to what are obviously more personal songs like The Man I Used To Be, He's My Best Friend, or Russian Hill, you always gave such a compelling vocal performance. I Wanna Stay Home is one of my favorite vocals ever. I actually have cried a few times before, when it comes to the bridge and that incredibly creative harmony comes in... "Well, I realize the weight that's firmly on my shoulders. I just try and find a place I can take a walk on my blind side."

I've kept up with your career as much as possible. I got a kick out of your work with PuffiAmiYumi and a bunch of your soundtrack and theme song work. But I always wanted to hear that vocal again, as more than a backup singer. When I bought L.E.O.'s Alpacas Orgling, I had no idea you were involved in the project. When I heard your voice come in on the second verse of Goodbye Innocence I yelled out loud, "Holy crap, I think that's Andy Sturmer!" It was so good to hear your voice again. I kept hoping you were featured somewhere else on the album, but was disappointed in that hope.

I get the impression you like to live behind the scenes nowadays and not make too big of a splash... It probably doesn't help that everyone who loves your work are continually clamoring for a Jellyfish reunion. I loved Jellyfish, but I don't really care if I ever get to see them play again, I have the records and will probably never get tired of listening to them, but I want to hear more you. Please, share the songs I know you're still writing. I'll even let you hole up in my studio for a few weeks and lay stuff down. The world of music needs more great songs, and you've written some of my favorites.

2 comments:

Sylvia said...

I love Andy Sturmer and Jellyfish. "Bedspring Kiss" was my favorite song in former years, and I love clapping during "Baby's Coming Back" and singing backup for "The Ghost at Number One." Thanks for making my day!

Anonymous said...

The world does need Andy more than ever. Someone that can turn "bullshit into marmalade". Someone who knows how important "Odyssey and Oracle" is and can write songs as good as that. Someone that can be both sincere and the fool. Come back Andy.

Blog Archive