In the ad sales world of Broadcast Radio/TV there's a term used to describe benefits given for purchasing a spot that are bonuses on top of the deal. For example, if I was selling Dial Hand Soap a radio ad, I might tell them that in addition to the exposure given them in the actual airtime, I would also post their advertisements on the station's website and at remote functions and promotions. These additional benefits are called "value added" incentives.
I've been in a fight with the Lord about my work situation for close to a month now. And by fight, I mean he's been nagging me and I've been trying to ignore him. He wanted me to ask myself why I felt unsettled about staying New York. I didn't want to deal with that. I've also felt a lean towards moving to Boston. So I decided to exercise some faith (or perhaps just quit being stubborn), and at least distribute resumes and look for some jobs in Bean Town. Well, he showed me again why I should listen to him more often. Because he knows how to make me happy, a lot better than I do.
On my first day, my (now very good) buddy Tim randomly mentioned that he might be able to get me a job at the Center for Digital Imaging Arts, a part of Boston University, teaching post-production audio and recording arts. I would have never thought to look into schools. I came with resumes for post-houses and studios. But it turned out to be a really great opportunity. He set me up with an informal sort of interview which went better than I could have possibly hoped and huzzah... two days later I have a job. I feel so much more at peace with this, than the idea of freelancing in New York. Everything else has worked out around it too. The time I need to start, my lease ending just on time, it's really been perfect.
Which leads me back to value-added: Not only do I get to live in a less expensive, more wonderfuller city, which is beautiful and inspiring, and have a really great job at a place I feel like I can contribute in a monumental way... I also get to live close to some of my best friends, not the least of whom are Marie and Kylee. Value-added. In short, I'm sold. Slap a Red-Sox cap on me and call me a townie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(101)
-
▼
August
(14)
- Crisis Speed-Dial
- My Last Weekend in New York (Long Version)
- My Last Weekend In New York (Short Version)
- Does that make me crazy? Probably.
- "Value Added"
- Dear Magnificent,
- Splitting hairs.
- My Studio is my Home.
- Last week of my internship.
- Premium words indeed.
- Everything is Illuminated.
- Eric Clapton stole George Harrison's Wife.
- Heat.
- One of my better experiences.
-
▼
August
(14)
7 comments:
Holy freaking crap I'm jealous! Well not really... good on ya my brother... I'll be coming out sometime this fall!
can we still come see you in not new york? i like boston too...
If you can't fight 'em...join 'em. I'm glad you finally gave in to that feeling you had the moment you came to Boston! I am exhilerated to be able to have more and more of the Jared Mooney.
ps. you are one great roommate. I love the sound of your music throughout my house...more please...lots more!
Jason: You ARE jealous, and that's ok.
Jen: Yes, we'll even go to New York for a couple days if you like. I've got plenty of people we can stay with.
Kylee: You're a great roommate too. And I will play music for you anytime you want.
Hinduhell. That's all I can say, Mooney. Hinduhell.
I wish I remembered what that meant.
Boston more wonderfuller than NYC? Is that even possible? Hmmmmm.
Sike. Congrats on following the Lord roomie. New York will miss you.
Post a Comment