I think it was Bill S. Preston Esq. and Ted Theodore Logan who ruined the word "gnarly". I never know what to think when someone says for example, "That's a gnarly beard you've got." Does that mean you think it's growing in all gross and uneven? Or that you think it's a cool looking beard? Or maybe both. Maybe Gnarls Barkley will put it right. Or maybe not.
All kinds of words have gone astray of their proper meanings. "Funky", for example, used to mean something akin to "your general odor is suscpiciously like that of butt or a rotting corpse." Now it describes a soulful music with scratchy guitar and immense bass in syncopated rhythms. Or it means something is strange or unusual.
Bad means good instead of bad. Fat might be spelled with a "ph" and therfore mean something completely different. And yet we somehow make sense of all of this. It must be kinda frustrating to learn contemporary English with all of these anachronistic shifts in meaning... or maybe it's not. Who knows?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(101)
-
▼
July
(18)
- Another moleskine gem.
- Organic.
- A Pleasant Surprise.
- Scribbled in my Moleskine sometime yesterday.
- Back in New York City.
- More Boston.
- I love lamp.
- AWESOME.
- San Dimas High School Football Rules!
- Our house becomes a home. (Sorta)
- "Wow, I know you said you were flat-footed, but WOW."
- An Edible Ice Cream Receptacle
- Employment news.
- I'm doing the 7's thing...
- Having a subway car to yourselves...
- When the lights go down in the city, and the sun s...
- This is what I ate tonight.
- A weekend in Boston, MA
-
▼
July
(18)
2 comments:
i love your definition for what funky use to mean.
hey, you might be interested in K. Marie and I's othe blog. You can find in on my side bar called: logophilia.
It's about words...check out my blog entry on pejoration and amerlioration.
Yes, I am a linguistic nerd as well!
Post a Comment